DIY Face Cleaner with 2 Ingredients
I remember when I used to have 5 different bottles for my morning and evening face cleansing routine. Not to mention how many chemicals each bottle contained and how I would just put them one after the other without thinking of how those ingredients would affect my face skin.
Those days are way past and know I make my own face cleanser with 2 simple ingredients: floral water and oil. Honestly its the best 2 in 1 cleanser/toner I had.
Just to mention that I still find that removing makeup works the best of using only oil and it can be any oil (I personally use coconut) but it leave your face greasy and if you do not remove access of oil it might lead to clogged pores.
Same goes for toner as nothing works better than just hydrosol but you definitely need to put moisturizer after using it because otherwise it leaves your skin dry.
That is when I decided to combine those 2 and make one face cleaner that does not leave your skin nor too oily nor too dry!
Recipe for this could not be easier:
- 50% Floral water according to your skin type
- 50% Oil that fits your skin type
- Essential oil (optional)
How to make and use this cleaner?
Just pour both ingredients in clean bottle (I like to use spray bottle but its up to everyone and it does not really work with coconut oil) and you are done and since I do not use any emulsifiers that help mix oil with water you will need to shake it good before each use.
Just put some product or wet reusable pad and wipe your face with it and enjoy your clean, glovy skin!
Choosing face cleaner ingredients for your skin type
I usually mix Jojoba oil with Camomile water as I have sensitive skin and I find that it works best for me.
What is hydrosol?
The water obtained from the distillation of a plant with water vapor made with a still is called Hydrosols. When the distilled plant is an aromatic plant, essential oil is obtained in parallel. If both are aromatherapy products, the hydrosol is much sweeter than the essential oil because it is much less concentrated.
To find which hydrosol can fit you, you can choose it according to your skin type:
- for mixed skin: rockrose (Cistus ladanifer), rose or immortelle (sandImmortelle)
- for oily skin: lavender, witch hazel, rose, bay laurel, myrtle, geranium or peppermint
- for acne skin: clary sage, verbenone rosemary, tea-tree, bay laurel or geranium
- for dry skin: cornflower, chamomile or orange blossom
- for sensitive and reactive skin: helichrysum, chamomile, witch hazel, linden or blueberry
- for mature skin: lemon balm, verbena, rockrose or rose
- for normal skin: it's up to you to choose from all that exists according to the benefits you want.
Some of benefits of different hydrolats:
- Cornflower decongests and softens, it relieves tired eyes, irritated and / or reddened. It also fights against rosacea and soothes sensitive skin.
- Chamomile soothes and softens dry, sensitive and / or irritated skin. It reduces dark circles, soothes red eyes, irritated and tired.
- Orange blossom has soothing and refreshing properties.
- Geranium balances combination skin.
- Hamamelis is ideal for sensitive skin prone to redness. Astringent and refreshing, it is perfect for cleansing the face, and tightens the pores.
- Immortelle or Italian helicryse improves circulation and tightens dilated pores. It also has anti-aging and regenerating properties.
- Lavender is purifying, cleansing and soothing. Ideal for all skins, and in anti-imperfections care. Healing and antiseptic, it soothes sunstrokes and rebalances oily skin.
- Peppermint refreshes and tones the skin.
- Rosemary is recommended for oily skin. It cleanses and tones the skin.
- Rose tones, refreshes and soothes the skin. Astringent, it cleans the skin gently. It illuminates the complexion.
- Thyme is recommended for combination skin. It purifies the skin and normalizes excess sebum. It also tones the scalp.
- Linden is particularly suitable for dry skin, sensitive and / or prone to redness. It softens the face.
- The Tea Tree is the friend of oily and acne skin! Powerful anti-bacterial, it deeply purifies the skin, and helps to remove imperfections. It can also be used in case of mycosis, boils, ingrown hairs or skin infections.
Finding best oil:
- for mixed skin: grape seeds, hazelnut oil, jojoba, argan, hemp, macadamia and avocado.
- for oily/acne skin: oil nigella, hazelnut, jojoba, argan, grape seeds and avocado.
- for dry/sensitive skin: apricot kernel oils, jojoba, calendula and arnica (comedogenic, so only if you have dry skin), camellia, avocado, hemp, borage, carrot, babassu, baobab and macadamia.
- for mature skin: grape seed oil, jojoba, apricot, camelina, argan, calendula, sesame, borage, macadamia, prickly pear, hemp, rose hip and coconut, avocado, evening primrose and pomegranate seeds.
- for normal skin: argan, jojoba, macadamia, onager and rosehip.
Benefits of different oils:
- Almond rich in vitamin A and E, this oil has soothing, nourishing, fortifying, soothing and toning properties.
- Argan is perfect for nourishing the skin and preventing dryness. It is anti-acne, anti-psoriasis, anti-redness, anti-aging
- Avocado oil has softening, moisturizing, protective and regenerative properties.
- Evening Primrose excellent anti-wrinkle oil, it softens and softens the skin. Ideal for tired skin.
- Borage oil with anti-wrinkle properties; it is moisturizing, softening and firming. Ideal for delicate and tired skin.
- Calendula has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-viral properties.
- Camellia slows down dehydration, it helps fight premature aging of the skin. It is nourishing, protective, softening.
- Carrot provides a tanned complexion by activating the melanogenesis of the skin.
- Coconut moisturizes and softens the drier and more sensitive areas of the body.
- Jojoba an excellent anti-wrinkle, this oil is nourishing, curative, beautifying, moisturizing and softening.
- Macadamia nourishes, restructures and moisturizes the skin. Fight against stretch marks and chapped skin.
- Hazelnut regulates the excess of sebum.
- Grape Seed suitable for all skin types, especially oily skin. It penetrates quickly into the skin and leaves no greasy film.
I hope you find it useful and let me know if you tried it!